Thursday, June 30, 2005

It's my business, that's why

Over on Leigh Wyndfield's blog she is discussing bad cover art. Now, as a newbie I'm still not over the fact that authors don't have a say (or much of one) on cover art or titles.

This really is upsetting for me- more upsetting than any other aspect of the industry, because my books ARE my business, they are my products- so why don't I get to name the store and decorate the door? Two of the key ingredients to attracting new customers?

I love picking out my titles, they are often one of the first things I have to go on. Personally, I think mine are brilliant. One can only hope that the PTB agree with me, from what I've been hearing, though, it doesn't sound very promising.

As for bad cover art, I don't think that will be as easy to get over. People do judge a book by it's cover and I don't want to have to smile and promote a book that I wouldn't pick up.

So many book covers scream to me- "This book isn't for you!!" not the other way around. This is bad business folks.

I think the goal of any business that wants to grow should be to reach out to people who are on the periphery of their market. I used to work in the cruise industry- 6 years + on the high seas. Our primary market at the time I started was older folks who had the time and money to cruise. Well, that represented such a tiny fraction of the traveling population. So, did they market with an even more geriatric campaign, warning all the young families that this experience wasn't for them? No! They made their product appealing to everyone, shorter cruises, flexible meal times, no forced seating charts or strict attire guidelines. In a few short years, the cruise industry has grown so much in fact that there aren't enough ports for ships, to increase berthing they now have mega ships. The growth is crazy because they went outside of the choir to preach.

All of those people who say "I don't read those books" are your peripheral market- they buy books- just not those books. They are the people we need to shake the dollars out from. They are untapped.

Granted, every book is not for every reader and nothing bothers me more than false advertising by way of cover art. But fact is new readers are attracted by cover art, readers are kept with what they find inside the cover. Don't scare them away from the store with a hideous display before they even get to the door handle, I want their business.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gena Showalter said...

I totally agree. Covers DO matter. I will read authors I've never heard of because I love their cover. If I hate the cover, I'm less likely to grab it. Sad but true.

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home