Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Accountability of Cin

No longer will judging myself be my responsibility....I'm relocating that task back to the public at large where it belongs.

New for 2006, a little feature of my blog will include highlighting the little things in my life that sometimes go unnoticed and sometimes keep me up at night kicking myself. So, instead of ignoring them or beating myself up with them- I'm just going to get them out there- send them out into the world with this little blog, where they will get the credit or condemnation they deserve. So for starters:

Why I'm a self absorbed idiot:

Yesterday we returned from two weeks of vacation- a co-worker whom I adore (she's knowledgeable, warm, crafty and is one of the only people who always remembers to include me in her department's functions- see my office is in another department's area- so most people are too confused to include me in the birthdays and cake and whatever- but not this wonderful woman)- so, she comes into my office first thing, and I'm all distracted with a failed hard drive on the AS400 that, like, runs everything financial, and she needs her user ID reset. So I ask how her holidays were... "Could have been better" she replies, sounding on the verge of tears. Then it hits me- her brother died in a tragic car crash like two days before we went to break (someone else had to use her profile- which was why her password no longer worked). I knew this! I felt like a complete idiot!

Why I'm a hero:
Today, in the office bathroom- the toilet paper was a full roll- jammed in its plastic casing and refusing to come out. I sacrificed my fingers, getting them horribly scraped on the serrated shredding apparatus- but am able after several attempts to free the paper so that it would work properly throughout the rest of its existence. I'm sort of a germ-a-phob in public restrooms, so this was above and beyond. I had to use copious amounts of "Luxury Foam" (Luxury foam? It's soap! There are no pearls of satiny-softness in it- it isn't even infused with lotion or a pastel color, even.)

So, okay- they don't exactly balance each other out... and, admittedly the hero thing was still a selfish act... but, hopefully, over time, we'll start to see a trend toward a kinder, more unselfish Cindy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home