Friday, July 08, 2005

The Next Great American Pizza!

Heehee- I just love it... I just yanked an entire scene (don't worry-waste not- it will fit better in the sequel). I'm at the stage in my highly technical pantser plotting method of madness where I am no longer trying to get page count, but am actually trying to cut page count! *does a very embarrassing imitation of Michael Flatley*

This is the best part for me, because it happens so infrequently for me. I am an avid starter and not a very good finisher... In the beginning I love watching those pages chug upwards- but I find my books tend to be very front heavy and peter out toward the finish, if I even give them one. Not good. And usually it is at this very stage that I put the book aside and work on next great project idea (which I have btw- but it's a shhh! secret of course). So, if I can get past this stage of writing it is a very very good sign- and usually my self doubt shuts the hell up and my interest starts to perk again.

So here's how book inspiration works for me- a liken it to making a pizza. First I start with a few ingredients- your basic- flour, water... whatever else goes into a crust- and I make this lumpy, doughy blob out of it. Then I start rolling it out, making page count, and at some point I toss it in the air and see if it spins. Then I lump and roll, lump and roll, toss. And if I stay with it I get to a point where I have what sort of look like a basic pizza sans toppings. It has the look of a book, the general length perhaps, but it isn't very good. Because it is still just dough. At this stage I might freak out because I was expecting to look down and see a finished pizza- hot and ready to eat. I might say- "Cindy- you suck, you call that a pizza?" I might start trying again on pizza number two- the Next Great American Pizza!

But, if I manage to keep my dementia in check, I realize that I'm already looking at the very promising start of the next great American Pizza- and I start layering on the toppings - making it more active, really getting into the character's bodies, the setting, etc... Then it still needs to be cooked - here I really turn up the heat and crank the tension part.

Then I eat it up with my final read through! Yum!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home