Friday, January 06, 2006

It's a Dog Eat Cookie World

Last night I was chatting with my Mom, telling her about how Kodiak (my chow/shep mix) sometimes has this look on his face and way of jogging that totally reminds me of Bowser (my deceased full Chow). SO, this prompts her memory and she starts talking about this comic strip I created a gazillion year ago dedicated to all of Bowsie's antics. I titled it "It's a Dog Eat Cookie World" (TM).

Now, if I do say so myself, I had some talent there. I sometimes come across these old cartoon strips and think- hey, those are pretty good. They really captured his dog-a-nality... They are funny and well drawn.

So, I tell this to my Mom- and she agreed... which struck me as odd, because while, of course, she liked them- she never really suggested I do anymore than hang up my markers. I asked her about that and she seemed surprised and speculated that the reason she never encouraged me was most likely because and I quote, "You probably had about 9 thousand irons in the fire."

Finally! See, my mother is very, very opinionated- problem is- she never ever, ever, ever shares her opinion about you, with you (which usually means, I assume the worst). Obviously the above example is very innocuous- shouldn't offend me at all- and it absolutely doesn't (hence my reply- "Well, don't I always?")- but I was so happy to finally, actually hear her tell me her true opinion and not just smile and nod and glaze over with that- well, whatever you want to do is just lovely, and why oh why would I have anything critical to share?- look on her face.

I should say- in her defense- she absolutely does encourage my writing (as do all of family and extended family)- but, when I share my story ideas with her- she starts to get that look- and now I know that it doesn't mean "I don't know, Cin, that story just doesn't resonate with me" - it means: "Uh, oh- sounds like too many irons going into the fire!" Which, I can live with...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home