Friday, January 27, 2006

Validation's not just for parking

Being a writer, I straddle an odd combination of narcissism and insecurity. On the one hand I hate sharing any of my work for fear people will steal it (it's really that good!) and on the other hand I don't want to show people my work for fear that it stinks (it really does). But there is one good thing that comes from sharing work- it is VALIDATION. Oh, man- that grand, glowing mystery stuff that is surely what was in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction.

It is so nice to have put your soul out and get it returned unsquashed (probably because they are too busy stealing my character's name!)- oops! Slipping again....

But it isn't just my writing that needs validation- it is everything- today we had an office lunch- and I swear I notice exactly how popular my items are- like, for instance, all my Fritos- gone! Yea! And for birthdays we have cake and last year the girl who has to bake mine asked what I liked and I said Strawberry. Well, she made a face, and basically whined about it- but this year she ended up having to bake cakes for both me and another fellow- so she baked one chocolate and one strawberry- guess whose cake was more popular? The Strawberry, thank you very much!

I'm telling you, this is not good that I'm so aware of this. But I hear that recognition is the first step.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Vincent said...

I thought I was the only one who felt like that. Good to know I'm not alone.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home