Thursday, March 09, 2006

Nakid Plotting

Got your attention, did I?

Well there are basically two types of plotting talked about in the RWA: Plotting and Pantzing. I know I not a Plotter. Note cards scare me, plotting boards confuse me, and that writing page 2 after page 1 is just icky!

Pantzing is a fly by the seat of the pants approach. I've always thought that was me. I do a lot of day dreaming, I start my story with nothing but a title or a character or a situation, I write the beginning then the ending then bits of pieces that aren't jointed and then I add caulk wherever I need to fill in holes. But quite frankly, that doesn't sound very good. That sound like I slap together my stories and send them off with a lick-and-a-promise. So not true!

So enter my new plotting method:

The No-Pantzer!

That's right... Plotting in the nude... NAKID! Whoo-Hoo...

It is raw, honest, complete disclosure. It is about voice and getting that all important Je ne sais quoi. In the acting world they call it "Method Acting" and Val Kilmer is a great example. He becomes his characters, he no longer even exists. It is a beautiful thing. So, enter "Method Writing."

Now, does this mean that while writing a book, I will stay in voice and character until it is finished--like Philip Seymour Hoffman did for Capote... Gosh, I hope not...that could lead to some really strange scenarios.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

I become my characters when I write. Method writing, huh? I just thought I was crazy.

Glad to know there's a name for what I have and that it's not attached to a certain medication I should take for it. Heh, heh.

Oh, but I don't do it nekid!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Rachel Vincent said...

I'm a plotter. Not a complete plotter, though. I plot out the first two-thirds of my books, then the ending. Then I make up the rest when I get to it.

I don't become my characters. But when I'm "in the zone," I get very, very testy when I "need" to write, but have to do something else instead.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Jill Monroe said...

I wonder what I am. Sometimes I'm a pantzer sometimes I'm a plotter.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home