Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Wait...Wait.. Hurry up!

OK--I admit it, my mind can't wrap around how long it takes to do things in publishing... 2 weeks to hear back on a query, 3 months on a partial, 4-6 on a full... And this is Good! So it takes a year to write it, a year to get an agent to like it, and then a year to publish. If all goes well.

YIKES!

But, we all hope for the fast track... a blog mates, I maybe on finally on it. See last Oct. I sent in a partial as part of an incentive program my local RWA does. My naive little self expected to hear back that week, because:

1> I felt like it was just that good of an idea.
and

2>I thought an incentive would trump anything in the submissions pile (non-client)

silly rabbit... I know. So I waited, and well it was the holidays, so that meant those two months didn't even count. Then I re-worked the piece completely. I yanked out all the paranormal-- so it looks a bit Swiss after that. And then I got excited and worked on the new query so that I could get back in the year-long waiting queue. And then the synopsis, in case I got a quick response for a partial.

OK. Good enough. But much to my surprise and shock, not hours after I sent two queries to my #2 and #3 pick agents... My Agent McDreamy writes and says... sorry I'm just now getting to this, is it still available before I look at it. Wow! talk about timing! I say you betchyas--can I send the reworked--you betchya-- and send I it along. THAT night she writes that she LOVED it. Yes in caps. And she would like to see a full...on exclusive for 2 weeks, but it would probably be faster!

Holey Cow! Oh wait, holey--that was my Full. I said I would love to but since I had made the major changes I wanted to have one more look at it. *cough* *cough* Can I send on Monday. She said of course...Tues would be even better. YAY!

So my weekend was spent entirely writing and proofing and writing and patching. Wax On Wax Off. And all of that. This morning I did the find string on there/their, hear/here, you're/your, its/it's, and my habit of putting a comma before too at the end of a sentence.

And now... she has the full. Rush Rush Rush and now I wait. But only for two weeks tops. Gotta love that!

I sure hope my Agent McDreamy loves it as much as I do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Vincent said...

Ooooh, Cindy, I'm so excited for you! Do you mind telling us who the agent is? I understand if you don't, but I'm really curious!

I hope this works out for you. Will you be at the meeting next weekend?

10:31 AM  
Blogger wilddunz said...

I will as soon as McDreamy gives me an answer!

I don't know why the secrecy, but I don't want to jinx it, ya know?

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home